Powered by Meeyou Widget

jeudi 9 janvier 2014

PRESENT PARTICIPLE

Publié par Unknown à 09:31




A. FORMATION – The present participle of both regular & irregular verbs is formed by dropping the –ONS ending from the present tense NOUS form and adding –ANT.  It is the equivalent of the verbal –ING form in English.
utilisons  à utilisant
finissons à finissant

battons à battant
faisons à faisant

EXCEPTIONS

être à étant
avoir à ayant
savoir à sachant

B.        USAGE – The present participle functions either as a verb or an adjective

1.      When it functions as an adjective, agreement is made with the noun it modifies.

      Le chalet où nous étions hébergés n’avait pas l’eau courante.
      The chalet where we were staying had no running water.

2.      When it functions as a verb, no agreement is made.  In this instance, the present participle is usually preceded by EN to express a condition or to show what two actions are going on simultaneously & is equivalent to the English while –ING

      En sautant à la corde, la jeune fille s’est blessé au pied.
      While jumping rope, the little girl hurt her foot.

      J’aime écouter la radio en faisant mon footing.
      I like to listen to the radio while jogging.

      Les jours de compétition, je commence à me concentrer en me levant.
      On competition days, I begin concentrating as soon as I get up.

NOTE-  TOUT can be used before EN+ present participle to accentuate the simultaneity or opposition of two actions.  In this case, TOUT does not change form.
                       
Tout en paraissant détendu, je me prépare à la course.
http://frenchfrancais1.blogspot.com/2014/01/savoir-connaitre.html
      While looking relaxed, I prepare myself for the race.

3. While functioning as a verb, the present participle can also express by what means something can be done & in this instance, is equivalent to the English by –ING.
     
      Comme me le dit mon entraîneur, c’est en travaillant à son proper rythme           réussit.

      As my coach tells me, it’s by working at your own pace that you succeed.

C.        DIFFERENCES BETWEEN FRENCH AND ENGLISH

1.      After all prepositions except EN, the French infinitive form is used to express the equivalent of the English present participle.

      J’ai passé mon temps libre à me preparer pour le triathlon.
      I spent my free time preparing for the triathlon.

      J’ai fini par me placer deuxième.
      I ended up placing second.
2.   The preposition APRES must be followed by the past infinitive, even       though is may translate as after +verb-ING.

      Après avoir pris une douche et s’être habillée, elle a mangé le petit         déjeuner.
      After taking a shower and getting dressed, she ate breakfast.

3.   An infinitive in French is also used when the English present participle     functions as the subject or object of a verb.

      Faire du sport est bon pour la santé.
      Practicing sports is good for your health.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

 

Copyright © 2011 learn french easily | Design by Kenga Ads-template